Announcements!

---

4.29.2009

Softball + poems

Just got back from softball......pretty good practice. A couple of my teamates were WAY hyped up on sugar which was pretty funny to watch. So tomorrow is poem in your pocket day. I like a lot of poems like Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Paul Revere's Ride and um oh dear I've forgotten the name of it, it's the one by Robert Frost about two roads diverging in a yellow wood. Oh WHAT is the NAME???? Oh well but I think that I am actually going to have 2 'cause I can't decide. I'll write them here.
 This is probably my second favorite because it's all about friendship and finding good things that have been lost:

The Arrow and the Song
By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For who has sight so keen and strong,
That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend.

Isn't that so pretty? And this is probably my all time favorite because it's funny but it has a cool meaning to me.

I am Growing a Glorious Garden
by Jack Prelutsky

I am growing a glorious garden,
Resplendent with trumpets and flutes,
I am pruning euphonium bushes, 
I am watering piccolo shoots,
My tubas and tambourines flourish,
Surrounded by saxophone reeds,
I am planting trombones and pianos,
And sowing sweet sousaphone seeds.

I have cymbals galore in my garden,
Staid oboes in orderly rows,
There are flowing fifes and violas,
In the glade where the glockenspiel grows,
There are gongs and guitars in abundance,
There are violins high on the vine,
And an arbor of harps on the bower,
Where the cellos and clarinets twine.

My bassoons are beginning to blossom,
As my zithers and mandolins bloom,
My castanets happily chatter,
My kettledrums merrily boom,
The banjos that burst by the bugles,
Play counterpoint with the kazoo,
Come visit my glorious garden,
And hear it play music for you!

I just love that. Whoops! My typeface just changed! Anyway remember to carry a poem in your pocket tomorrow!
 

No comments: